The Department of Urology at SGITO offers Urology care to patients. The department provides comprehensive treatment for urological trauma, infections, neurourology and strictures of the urethra. The department is complementary to other departments and caters to the urological problems of all patients.
The department is widely recognized and specializes in urethral reconstruction and bladder management following spinal cord injuries
The Department of Urology has experienced faculty available for consultation full time.
Department was started in 2014
Specializes in management of urethral injuries and neurogenic bladder
Intra-departmental coordination with Departments of Orthopaedics, Pathology , Radiology ,Medicine and General surgery.
Urologyis the surgical speciality that focuses on the urinary tracts of males and females, and on the reproductive system of males. Medical professionals specializing in the field of Urology are called Urologistsand are trained to diagnose, treat, and manage patients with urological disorders. The organs covered by Urology include the kidneys, ureters, urinary bladder,urethra, and the male reproductive organs (testes, epididymis, vas deferens, seminal vesicles, prostate and penis). In men, the urinary system overlaps with the reproductive system, and in women the urinary tract opens into thevulva. In both sexes, the urinary and reproductive tracts are close together, and disorders of one often affect the other. Urology combines management of medical (i.e. non-surgical) problems such asurinary tract infectionsand neurogenic bladder, as well as surgical problems such as the surgical management of urethral stricture.
As a discipline that involves the study of many organs and physiological systems, Urology can be broken down into sub-fields. At larger centers and especially university hospitals, many Urologists sub-specialise within a particular field of Urology. In SGITO , we are sub-specialised into neurourology reconstructive urology and andrology.
Neurourology concernsnervous systemcontrol of the genitourinary system, and of conditions causing abnormal urination. Neurological diseases and disorders such as multiple sclerosis,Parkinson's disease, andspinal cord injurycan disrupt the lower urinary tract and result in conditions such asurinary incontinence, detrusor overactivity, urinary retention, and detrusor sphincter dyssynergia. Urodynamic studies play an important diagnostic role in neurourology. Therapy for nervous system disorders includes clean intermittent self-catheterization of the bladder, anticholinergic drugs, injection of Botulinum toxin into the bladder wall and advanced and less commonly used therapies such as sacralneuromodulation.
Reconstructive urology reestablishes functionality of the genito-urinary tract. Strictures of the urethra or the ureter often require reconstructive surgery
Andrology focuses on the male reproductive system. It is mainly concerned with maleinfertility,erectile dysfunctionand ejaculatory disorders. Since male sexuality is largely controlled byhormones, andrology overlaps with endocrinology. Surgery in this field includes fertilization procedures,vasectomyreversals, and the implantation of penile prostheses. Vasectomies may also be included here although most Urologists perform this procedure.
Dr shreeharsha mallappa awati
Designation: Assistant Professor, Urology
Education: MBBS M.S., DNB. (Urology)
- 2001 - M. B. B. S. – BMCRI, Bangalore.
- 2006 - M. S. (Gen. Surgery) – KIMS, Hubli
- 2012 -DNB (Urology) –ST John Medical College Hospital.
- House surgeon: 2001 to 2002, worked in various clinical departments at Victoria hospital and bowring and lady Curzon hospital
- 2003-2006, as postgraduate student in KIMS Hospital ,Hubli
- 2006-2008, as assistant professor in PESIMSR, Kuppam, Andhra Pradesh
- 2008-2011, as DNB student in st john medical college hospital, Bangalore
- 2011-2013, as senior resident in ESI-PGIMSR, Bangalore
- Since 06-03-2014, as assistant professor in SGITO, Bangalore
To carry out OPD & ward work. Performing major operations independently. Assisting general surgeon and other doctors as needed. Independent decision-making regarding management of patients. Seeing referrals from other departments. Teaching post graduate students of orthopaedics, paramedical students & to carry out administrative work.
- Full member of urological society of india, Karnataka urological association, Bangalore urological society
- Member of international continence society
Publications: 7 publications in indexed journal.
Management of urological trauma and neurourology are the priority at sgito.
- GU Trauma and Reconstruction
- Urethral Stricture Disease
- Peyronies Disease-Medical and Surgical Correction of Penile Curvature
- Erecticle Dysfunction-All aspect of restoration of erectile function: Medical and Surgical (Prosthetics)
- Ureteral Injury-Ureteral Repair (Pyeloplasty)
- Urologic Trauma-Renal, Ureteral, Bladder, Urethra, Penis, Scrotum
- Men's Health-Andrology, Sexual Function, Prostate DIsorders and Voiding Dysfunction
- Neurourology- Bladder management after spinal cord injuries
Equipments for open urological procedures
Male and Female urethral dilators, Suprapubic catheters
One OPD room, one minor operating theatre in OPD and major operating theatre.
Books on trauma and reconstructive urology available in library
Outpatient services: 10:00 AM to 12:00 Noon on all working days and on call
Emergency services: round the clock
Operative procedures, cross references, teaching programmes and administrative work: 12:00 noon to 4:00 PM on all working days.